Hey everyone, Kristin here!
I am sitting in my apartment right now alone, which is nuts because I have three roommates, so I am blasting music. It’s going to be so weird moving back into Simmons after living here all summer. I cleaned the whole place the other day and I’m packing up all of my stuff today, and it just feels so odd that this place is going to go back to being someone else’s. It feels like ours now, even though it is really a window-less, basementy dungeon. I just got out of work, so this post will probably be a bit rambly, just warning you now.
This blog feels a lot more weird than I expected it to be because I was going to post pictures, but then I realized that you’ve all seen all the pictures that I would probably post here on facebook already/they’re all there to see if you wanted to look at them. In addition, I’ve also talked to you all a bunch all summer, so this feels so bizarre. Also, I was supposed to post like, five days ago and just totally didn’t, so I apologize. Anyway, let’s get down to it.
Things I’ve done this summer since orientation:
- Read multiple books, including A Farewell to Arms, The Sound and the Fury (well, half of it. Was not a fan), two books by Tom Robbins, and The Feminine Mystique
- Had a really awesome Independence Day party, as well as an awesome birthday party
- As cheesy and stupid as it sounds, I feel like I’ve learned a lot about myself in general
- I also think I’ve become more outgoing this summer, but I could be making that up
- Got a lot closer to my work friends. Since I work with mostly college-age folks, many of our friends were all gone for the summer, so we all hung out with each other a lot, and they are some of the most genuinely friendly, hilarious, and kind people that I know.
- Worked 40 hours a week like a REAL ADULT!!!! and subsequently spent all of my money on stuff I didn’t need
- Got into some adventurous shenanigans. I will leave it at that.
- Went on a nice little weekend vacation to my roommate’s camp in upstate New York with Hannah and my other roommate, Lauren. We went kayaking and had a Great American Vegan Grillathon (or Great American Vegan Grillfest, or Grillstravaganza, depending on what mood you caught us in) and also made some really delicious pizzas (Great American Vegan Pizzafest) and we also tanned some and swam in a lake some and watched some movies and looked at some stars. It was great.
- Hannah and I somehow convinced our other roommate Lauren to go vegan instead of just vegetarian and now we are an unstoppable vegan trio, and when our other roommate from Tennessee who is a meat and dairy eating fiend gets back to Simmons in a few weeks, she will be very mad about this situation, which I find to be hilarious
- Went to Kate’s house in Brunswick one weekend and hung out and also saw Tegan and Sara, which was so great and also so sweaty!!
- Went to the Warped Tour, which was also great and sweaty!!!
- Watched a ton of Netflix, since we don’t have cable at our apartment, and also listened to crowd sounds coming from Fenway park and cried a lot about how I couldn’t watch any of the games (just kidding, I didn’t cry, but it was a real bummer since this is one of the best seasons in a few years)
- Got very obsessive about music and listened to a lot of the same songs over and over a lot, including but not limited to Blurred Lines and also Contact High by Architecture in Helsinki, and at the beginning of the summer, I also listened to the new Fall Out Boy album on repeat all the time. I am now starting to get over these obsessions and am starting to remember that there is also other music I like, too.
- Began to associate blasting loud music with cleaning my apartment, which is kind of a good association, tbh, because every time I blast music now, I end up cleaning something or other.
- Got really REALLY FAST at working on the espresso bar at work during rushes, especially afternoon frappuccino/iced tea/refresher rushes. I know it’s totally stupid but I’m PROUD OF IT, OKAY?
- OH I SAW A DOCUMENTARY ABOUT KILLER WHALES HELD IN CAPTIVITY LIKE AT SEAWORLD AND I AM STILL SO SAD AND UPSET ABOUT IT. IT WAS CALLED BLACKFISH AND YOU SHOULD ALL SEE IT FOR REAL BECAUSE IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE. Okay, it probably won’t change your life but it will make you think about stuff.
- The other day, I learned the world “lackadaisical.”
Okay this is getting long and rambly like I figured it would. I can’t wait to see you all in just a few days!! I’m looking forward to the long days with you lovely folks.
I’ll bring the redbull, you bring the good times.